You can’t see it, taste it or smell it but it can kill quickly and with no warning.
From the 1st October 2015 all landlords will need to ensure their rental properties have:
- at least one smoke alarm installed on every storey of their rental property which is used as living accommodation
- a carbon monoxide alarm in any room used as living accommodation where solid fuel is used.
After that, the landlord must make sure the alarms are in working order at the start of each new tenancy.
Find out more by reading Smoke and carbon monoxide alarms (England) Regulations 2015 (pdf, 156kb)
Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colourless, odourless, tasteless, poisonous gas produced by incomplete burning of carbon-based fuels, including gas, oil, wood and coal. It is only when the fuel does not burn properly that excess CO is produced, which is poisonous. When CO enters the body, it prevents the blood from bringing oxygen to cells, tissues, and organs.
You can’t see it, taste it or smell it but CO can kill quickly without warning. Every year around 12 people die from CO poisoning caused by gas appliances and flues that have not been properly installed, maintained or that are poorly ventilatedIncreasing public understanding of the risks of CO poisoning and taking sensible precautions could dramatically reduce this risk.
There are signs that you can look out for which indicate incomplete combustion is occurring and may result in the production of CO:
- yellow or orange rather than blue flames (except fuel effect fires or flueless appliances which display this colour flame)
- soot or yellow/brown staining around or on appliances
- pilot lights that frequently blow out
- increased condensation inside windows
Carbon monoxide kills if left undetected
Because carbon monoxide has no taste, smell or colour. Gas Safe Register strongly recommends you fit an audible carbon monoxide alarm in your home or property.
Smoke alarms do not detect carbon monoxide.
Landlord Certificates Ltd now can suppy Kidde CO Alarm and Smoke Alarms at a discounted rate with any gas service purchased.